How to write letters, essays, reports, reviews, articles.
How to write letters, essays, reports, reviews, articles.
1. INFORMAL LETTERS
2. INFORMAL LETTER IN 7 STEPS 1. SALUTATION, (Comma & Hey!) 2. START A LETTER Thank when it comes to previous letter OR apologize for not writing before, a couple of questions about family or friends. (1 short paragraph) — Informal letters to edubirdies.org/buy-essay-online reddit strangers: reasons why you are writing — 3. BODY Answer the details which you have now been told, express your interest to understand more info on that which was earlier mentioned. Make comments that are positive respond 1 by 1 & use imagination. (2 paragraphs) 4. END YOUR LETTER with some questions so your receiver feels, motivated to reply. Give news, be emotional, plan a date, leave contact details (1 pragraph that is short 5. CLOSING LINE (1 line 10 – 15 words) 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE (1 or 2 words) You may use contractions or phrasal verbs ?
3. INFORMAL LETTER 1. Dear Martin, 2. TO BEGIN A LETTER • Thank you for the letter. It absolutely was great to hear from you. How’s the new baby? • Thanks for your letter and sorry for not replying sooner. • Sorry We haven’t written for such a long time. I’ve been really busy lately. And that means you bought a new house! How could it be?
4. 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE • Love, • plenty of love, • Cheers! Take it easy! • Best wishes, • all of the best, Marking Code: Capitalization, Organisation, Punctuation, Register/Formality, Sentence Structure, Spelling, Wrong form, Word order, Wrong tense, Wrong word, Word(s) missing, Omit word. INFORMAL LETTER 5. TO FINISH A LETTER • Give my love to… • Ok, I’ve got to go now, so see you soon! • That’s about all. Do write soon and let me know what you’ve been doing. • I look forward to seeing you soon. Many thanks ahead of time for your help.
5. “Task letter”
6. 1. Hello Simon, 2. I’m glad you’re interested in my country. As your friend said, i would like us to email one another to help me enhance your English. 3. i would ike to start by telling you a little about myself and my loved ones. My name’s Ivo and I are now living in Kutna Hora, which is about 45 minutes from Prague by car. I used to function for a company that is medical now I am learning to be a salesperson. As time goes by I want a job where I can travel for could work. I have been already to a few places in Europe but I have never been to an English-speaking country. I live acquainted with my parents, which can be convenient, when I need not do housework that is much my meals are cooked in my situation. My younger brother is their studies at university. Although he could be four years younger than me, we log in to very well. We both enjoy music and snowboarding. 4. What about you? Perhaps you have been to the Czech Republic? It could be great in the event that you could come over 1 day so we could fix up a meeting. Why don’t you let me know your plans? 5. Anyway, I must go and obtain on with my work! Looking forward to hearing away from you soon. 6. Best wishes, 7. Siore (180-190 words)
7. FORMAL LETTERS
8. FORMAL LETTER IN 7 STEPS 1. SALUTATION, To strangers: To whom it may concern, 2. START A LETTER State the Reason why you may be writing. (1 short paragraph) 3. BODY Answer the knowledge which you have been told. Give facts about the presssing issue you are currently talking about. Respond the task references 1 by 1 & use imagination. (2 paragraphs) 4. END YOUR LETTER by expressing what do you wish to get as a result or answer. (Offer solutions, ask for something in return). Leave contact details (1 pragraph that is short 5. CLOSING LINE (look forward to ______ing ….) 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE (2 words) You may NOT use contractions NOR phrasal verbs ?
9. FORMAL LETTER ORGANISING THE INFORMATION Firstly Secondly In addition Lastly / last but most certainly not least 5. TO END A LETTER I am looking forward to hearing from you soon. Don’t use contractions. Dear Sir/Madam, Dear Mr. / Mrs. Smith Yours faithfully Yours sincerely 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE yours sincerely, yours faithfully,
10. 1. Dear Mr. Smith, 2. I am writing to apply for the positioning of . that we saw advertised in “The Guardian” newspaper. 3. I am 23 yrs . old and at the moment I am studying … at …. .Having studied English for over seven years i will be a speaker that is fluent of language. My qualifications also include Proficiency certificates in both French and German. In terms of experience is worried, We have worked as . for . As for my personality, people let me know I am . 4. I feel I would personally be suited to this job because I. . This will give me the chance to ….. . I might also such as the chance to. 5. I look forward to hearing yours sincerely, 7. Siorella Gonzales away from you. 6
11. FCE ESSAY PRIOR TO STARTING think about a response into the Essay question! Plan your essay. (Brainstorm for 5-10 minutes) Manage your time. (Aprox. 40 minutes) WHENEVER YOU FINISH ensure you have expressed yourself clearly. Check your writing for grammar & spelling mistakes. TIPS NO contractions, colloquial expressions or ‘chatty’ style. Use complex grammar structures and vocabulary that is sophisticated conditional sentences and all sorts of PRESENT,PAST, FUTURE tenses. Give your OPINION IN THE final end, NOT in the beginning.
12. The introduction should: • Start general and go til specific • be 3 to 4 sentences long. • have a sentence or 2 in regards to the topic as a whole. • have a sentence telling your reader whether or not the essay will once look at or both sides of this issue. • have a question/idea that you will answer in your essay. (Paragraph 4) The conclusion should: • begin with :: In closing” ,“In the end”, “To sum up” etc… • be 2 to 3 sentences long. • Include a summary of your points that are main. • have a reference to your original question (make an effort to rephrase it). • have your opinion: “I believe…” I think” “I reckon” • do not have new information.
13. STRUCTURING YOUR ESSAY Mathematics! • Most people write on 10-12 words per line. • You have to write a total of 190 words, therefore you should come up with 18 lines as a whole. INTRODUCTION: (general thought) 3 lines (30-40 words) Paragraph 1/ Idea 1 4 lines (40 words) Paragraph 2 / Idea 2 4 lines (40 words) Paragraph 3 / Idea 3 4 lines (40 words) In closing, 3 lines (30-40 words)
14. OUTLINE I. INTRODUCTION II. CONTRAST OF ARGUMENTS A. ADVANTAGES B. DISADVANTAGES (ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES). C. GIVING OPINIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ON THE TITLE. III. CONCLUSION
15. MEETING THE PROSPECTIVE
16. TASK 3: a. Write the first draft of your essay in an item of paper. (10 min) b. Check your partner’s draft that is first.
17. ESSAY LINKS http://teacher.sch olastic.com/activiti es/writing/persuas iveflash/transition alwords.htm http://www.flo- joe.co.uk/fce/stud ents/writing/linkin g/ Example question In class you’ve been technology that is discussing. Now, your English teacher has asked one to write an essay. Write an essay using all of the notes and give grounds for your point of view. You need to write your answer in 140-190 words in an style that is appropriate. Nowadays, technology is everywhere. Has technology made people’s lives better or worse? Notes talk about: 1.medical science 2.the internet 3.your own idea